Saturday, March 3, 2007

And the Moral of the Story Is....

I admit to having read the occasional "Weight Gaining Story" floating around the internet, and 95% of the time, the experience is disappointing. Yeah, yeah I know that the authors' purpose in writing weight gaining stories is not to wow the world with their literary skills, but running a spell check sure would help. Despite the frequent disappointment, there are gems to be found in the midst of the drivel. While most stories abruptly cut off at the point at which the author presumably "got off" while composing his literary masterpiece, some stories actually contain the elements of a real story with noteworthy themes.

I ran across one such tale today. "Fat Family", posted by someone who goes by "The Observer" on dimensionsmagazine.com, shared a story that has its basis in reality. The story is of a man who adores BBW but marries a thin woman simply because they get along so well. Throughout the story, she has two children and begins to fill out slightly, and he finds pleasure in giving her more attention as a result. It is a story of his being ashamed to tell her what he truly finds attractive and her discovering his secret desires along the way. Near the end of the story, their plump son comes home from school upset because he was teased about being fat.

For the first time in my life, I actually EMPATHIZED with a character in a weight gain story! I vividly remember coming home from school upset because I had been teased about being fat, and for a short blip in time, I felt as though someone had penned my own story before my very eyes. It was a very short blip in time, however. The way the parents, namely the father, handled the little boy's feelings was completely opposite of how my parents had handled mine.

I'd like to post an excerpt from the story here. If you'd like to read the whole thing, check out the links column on the right-hand side of the page.

--excerpt--
Ethan laughed, "I guess that calls for a banana split." And they went out to a local coffee shop and shared one.

In this environment it was not surprising that both of the kids were becoming somewhat plump as well.

Eric was the first to hear about it. Someone at school told him he was "fat" and he came home upset. Not really upset, you understand. He just didn't like being called a name. But he wasn't old enough to comprehend that he wasn't going to solve the problem with three heaping scoops of ice cream before supper. Ethan, perfectly happy with everyone's size, realized that his family's little world was threatened from the outside.

He asked Eric what "fat" meant to him.

Eric paused --- he was only in the second grade, after all. "I dunno, but Bobby said I was."

"So am I, so is Julie, so is Mommy and so are millions of others. Do you know why?"

"No."

"Because we have fun together and enjoy life. Does Bobby have a family that takes him places like we do?"

"He doesn't even have a Daddy - and his Mom is crabby and mean."

"Hmmm ... do you think maybe he is calling you names because he feels bad that you have things he doesn't?"

"I dunno."

"Well, let me tell you something. Yes, you are fatter than some people. You are also skinnier than some others. There is nothing wrong with either one. But people who are unhappy sometimes call others names who are different than they are. Do you know why?"

"No."

"Because for a little while it makes their pain go away. But it won't last. Would you like to help Bobby?"

"Maybe, I guess."

"We are going to the beach next week. Why don't you tell Bobby that I said you could bring a guest and you would like it to be him."

"I don't think he's even been there."

"Tell him he can have his Mother call your Mom or I to get permission --- OK?"

And with that Eric got his first lesson in diverting criticisms --- and Jill, who had been observing the whole thing, gained a new appreciation of her husband's real feelings.

"You really don't mind having a plump family, do you? Not a word about watching what he eats or anything --- just turn critics into friends."

"I guess I'm nailed --- do you disagree?" he replied.

"It's different than the way my Mother would have handled it - that's for sure. She would have made some sarcastic remark about what do you expect and then railed for ten minutes about the other kid's family pedigree."
--end of excerpt--

Maybe this isn't the kind of story that will "get you off quick", but if you have or ever plan to have kids, I encourage you to check it out in its entirety as the applications are far-reaching--a true pearl of wisdom worth harvesting.

No comments: